> The Things You Can Read: Figurative Language: SOL STYLE QUESTIONS

The Things You Can Read welcomes you and thanks you for your readership. We, here at The Things You Can Read, ask your help, if you visit our site regularly, please follow us either via email or Google Friend Connect.  Launched on June 7, 2012, our site has already attracted a great deal of attention.  One of the goals of the site is to feature reviews of Children's Picture Books, Young Adult novels and Adult Literary Fiction/Nonfiction.  A second goal for the blog is to be a resource for teachers of English and writing--with examples of student created writing, writing tips, resource links, and the opportunity to pick the brain of a seasoned English teacher.  To spice things up...every now and then, we'll also include random quotes and thoughts on education and life in general, but our ultimate goal is to reach out into the blogosphere and be a "Book Whisperer" and "Writing Whisperer" to children and adults of all ages.   Thank you for your readership.  Here is to a lifetime filled with reading and writing.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Figurative Language: SOL STYLE QUESTIONS



Directions: Select the correct text in the passage.
Which of the following sentences contains figurative language?





















The Bull
     Even though I had spent my whole life in New York City, I'd always been fascinated by bull riding. Other kids in my class talked about wanting to be professional football or basketball players when they grew up. I wanted to be a professional bull rider. Anytime I saw that bull riding would be coming on the TV, I got as excited as a kid at Christmas. I would post a note near our TV, letting my family know that I would be using the TV at a specific time. No one else in my family liked bull riding, so I would watch with Bullhorn, my pet hermit crab. Bullhorn never complained about watching bull riding. 
     Today, finally, another event was coming on the TV. I hadn't seen any bull riding in weeks! Fifteen minutes before the event was scheduled to start, I went up to my room to take Bullhorn out of his cage. Bullhorn wasn't there! I emptied out his cage and even looked around my room to see if he had escaped, but I couldn't find him. My room seemed to be laughing at me, as if to say, "What? Can't find your friend? I know where he is!"
     I gave up and went downstairs. Bullhorn was on the couch in a brand new cage! The inside of the cage was a miniature version of a rodeo, and Bullhorn even had his own tiny cowboy hat. There was also a plate with some cookies and a glass of milk. I sat down and turned on the TV. The plush couch pillows hugged me to say hello. I'm pretty sure Bullhorn smiled.





2.
Directions: Select the correct text in the passage.
Which of the following sentences contains a metaphor? 
Building a Strong Body Image
     As kids become teenagers and start going through puberty, it can be hard for them to deal with all the changes their bodies are going through. It is important that teens be taught the importance of building not only strong and healthy bodies but also strong and healthy body images.
     Because of society's emphasis on being thin, studies have found that many teens develop poor self-esteem when they start going through puberty. When a body is growing, weight gain can sometimes happen quickly, but some teens do not understand what is happening and panic. They may try to eat less, which will get in the way of the body's development. Bodies are race cars and need to be cared for in order to perform well. If teens treat their bodies like rental cars, though, trouble will arise. Unlike rental cars, bodies cannot be returned, and teens who try to combat a poor body image by starving themselves will disrupt their development. 
     These days, kids as young as seven or eight are going on diets. Yes, obesity is a real problem, and it should be addressed. Sometimes, young kids may need to change their eating habits for the sake of their overall health and quality of life. However, many kids who are perfectly healthy are trying to diet too. Kids need to be taught that healthy bodies come in all shapes and sizes, like fruit off a tree. No two apples look exactly the same, and neither do any two bodies.


ANSWER
A metaphor is a form of figurative language that makes a direct comparison between two unlike things.The sentence containing a metaphor is "Bodies are race cars and need to be cared for in order to perform well." In this sentence, bodies are being directly compared to race cars.





3.
Directions: Drag the tiles to the boxes to form correct pairs.
Which sentences from the passage match each type of figurative language?
  • After she closed the door, silence slapped her in the face.
  • Suddenly, a striped orange cat galloped toward Janine like a racehorse.
  • Tiger's purr was a chainsaw that sliced through the air.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Comment is awaiting moderation. It will appear once it has been approved.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...