Summer Enrichment Program
Course: This I Believe Project
Course Instructor: CWhite
“Thousands of teachers around the world—in every U.S. state and more than 50 countries—have embraced This I Believe as a powerful educational tool. Many have told us that our project was the most enriching writing assignment they have given in many years of teaching.” –This I Believe
• Students will join an international project engaging people of all ages in writing, sharing and discussing the core values and beliefs that guide their lives.
• Students will examine belief statements from such famous individuals as Eleanor Roosevelt, Jackie Robinson, Helen Keller, Colin Powell, and Muhamad Ali. Students will also be introduced to average Americans who have voiced their beliefs through National Public Radio’s feature This I Believe. After reading and listening to essays students will begin building their own personal essay through the use of the This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women Middle School Curriculum.
• Once students have crafted their rough drafts, they will receive additional feedback from peers, teachers, and parents. This feedback will be used in the editing and revising of their work.
• Once a polished piece has been finished, the fun begins. Students will submit their essay online at http://thisibelieve.org/ and then they will begin the process of crafting a collection of essays by all the participants in the This I Believe enrichment program. The book will be modeled after the books found in bookstore across the nation.
• The final piece to the project…A Public Reading!
The This I Believe enrichment course will offer a unique opportunity to turn each and every one of the students who participate into published authors. My hope and dream would be that each one of the students who participates in this project will grow as a writer from the experience and continue to seek out ways to publish their original work and perhaps be chosen to share their essay on NPRs This I Believe segment.
*This enrichment program will require the use of a computer lab
Note: The educational curricula to be used was designed to help educators guide students in the writing of a This I Believe essay appropriate for inclusion in school writing portfolios. The curricula help students understand the concept of belief, explore their own values, and craft them into a well-written essay.
This I Believe…
I believe in family...
I believe a parent should be a parent and not a “best friend”
I believe in teaching young people right from wrong...
I believe you need to live a “GOOD” life...
I believe you need to be a good role model...
Use Worksheets 1 in the THIS I BELIEVE... CURRICULUM
Using the worksheet: Circle Values that are important to you
Look at the ones you circled...choose the 5 that are most important to you.
From your list of 5 rank them from most to least importance.
LINK FOR WORD CLOUDS: CLICK HERE
List your top three.
USE THIS TO MAKE FOLDABLE BOOKLET.
PURPOSE: TO BUILD OUR ESSAY USING THE INFORMATION FROM THE "THIS I BELIEVE..." FOLDABLE
ESSAY 1: Click Here
ESSAY 2: Click Here
THIS I BELIEVE...
THIS I BELIEVE...PRESENTATION THOUGHTS